Last year I read One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp. I really feel like it was a huge catalyst in my continually growing relationship with Christ. The premise is counting all your blessing and gifts from God from the simple thing like the flip of your child's hair to new jobs and answered prayers. I have her app on my iPad and I made a weak attempt last year on the blog to count to one thousand. For 2012 she is setting up a monthly dare on her blog. You count just three gifts a day in a given format. I am going to take the challenge and post each month's blessings.
Here is January:
1st- 3 things you about yourself you were grateful for.....
1. Jesus in me 2. patience in traffic and in line 3. mothering
2nd- A gift outside, inside and on a plate......
4. sunshine 5. photographs of my family and friends decorating my wall 6. cheesecake, creamy and yum
3rd- Three lines you overheard that were graces....
7. Noah's innocent prayers 8. Miller's laugh 9. Papa and Noah having a conversation
4th- one gift old, one gift new, one gift blue....
10. a candle in my Granny's mason drawer 11. new fun makeup 12. Noah's bright eyes
5th- Something you are reading, something you are making, something you are seeing...
13. How to Tuck in a Superhero 14. lots of casseroles to freeze 15. Adam's face
6th- One thing in your bag, your fridge, and your heart....
16. a matchbox car 17. prepared meals and leftovers 18. joy
7th- 3 graces from people you love.....
19. Adam's patience 20. unasked for hugs and kisses 21. generosity of our parents
8th- Light that caught your eye, a reflection that surprised you, a shadow that fell lovely....
22. sunshine pouring through the clouds 23. my hair looking healthy and long 24. sunlight and shadow in the foyer
9th- A gift in your hand, a gift you walked by, a gift you sat with.....
25. Miller's small hand 26. my neighborhood 27. Adam at dinner...ALONE
10th - A gift that is sour, a gift that is sweet, a gift that is just right.....
28. candy 29. chocolate kisses 30. God's timing in my life
11th - 3 yellow things that strike you as new mercy
31. cracked eggs in a frying pan 32. bright bright sunshine 33. new daffodils in bloom
12th- Something above you, something below you, something beside you....
34. bright blue sky 35. driving over the river 36. laughing running boys
13th- 3 noises you here
37. laughter 38. alarm clock 39. praise music
14th- 3 ways you glimpsed the grace of God
40. thing after thing about Adam's new job 41. the way His word speaks to me 42. opportunities to speak about His grace to others
15th- One thing you wore, one thing you gave away, one thing you shared....
43. New shirt, flirty and cute 44. time 45. food with a good friend
16th- 3 ways you witnessed happiness today....
46. joy over play 47. laughs from little ones 48. attempt and pride over Miller's communication
17th- One gift that made you laugh, one gift that made you pray, one gift that made you quiet...
49. Noah's knock knock jokes 50. Miller's tantrum 51. Adam's love
18th- 3 gifts from God's word
52. Sermon on the Mount 53. the whole gift of James 54. "The Lord will fight for you. You only have to be still."
19th- A grace in the kitchen, a grace in the weather, a grace that might never have been....
55. the crockpot 56. 68 degree weather in January 57. hug from a struggling student
20th- 3 gifts you only saw close up.....
58. brown spot in Noah's eye 59. wreath on the front door 60. comfy desk chair at school
21st- One in the sky, one thing in your memory, one thing that is ugly beautiful
61. colors in a sunset 62. smile from a stranger 63. football
22nd- 3 gifts found in Christ
64, forgiveness 65. freedom 66. abundant life
23rd- One grace wrinkled, one grace smooth, one grace unfolded
67. My Granny's face 68. Miller's baby skin 69, the layer's of blessings in Adam's new job
24th- 3 things blue
70. Miller's eyes 71. Mr. Bears 72. bright sky
25th- one grace borrowed, one grace found, one grace inherited....
73. tent for camping in the backyard 74. lost shoe 75. love of God
26th- a gift before nine am, a gift before noon, a gift after dark
76. library time 77. healthy lunch 78. story times
27th- 3 gifts that might never have been
79. Noah 80. light in student's eyes 81. miracle babies that I love
28th - 3 graces found in your friends.....
82. creativity 83. wisdom 84. ways to relieve the stress
29th- a song heard, a soft word, a light seen
85. "You are good when there is nothing good in me" 86. "Don't let the school bugs bite" 87. light at the end of the tunnel
30th- 3 old things new
88. outfits 89. friendships 90. old frames for decorating
31st- A gift found on paper, in person, in a picture
91. note I found in my Bible 92. a undeserved compliment 93. joy captured on the faces of friends at the birth of a new baby
There they are! Looking forward to counting even more gifts from God this month. If you'd like to take the dare here is a link to the month's gift list.