Saturday, June 12, 2010

The Gestational Diabetes

Noah and Miller's pregnancies have been very different. Up until this week I would have told you that Miller's pregnancy has been much healthier. With Noah I was so sick I could only stomach certain foods. Mainly Swiss Cake Rolls, Grilled Cheese Sandwiches, Mac and Cheese and Jamocha Shakes. This time I still throw up now and again but is mostly manageable with meds and I can eat all different kinds of things strawberries, grilled chicken, salads, pasta, grilled pork chops, asparagus, grilled corn, and milk by the gallon. I haven't had one swiss cake roll. At this point with Noah I had gained close to forty pounds. (I wonder why)I have only gained 13 so far. I feel better except for being unimaginably hot. (I went to the mall this morning and kid you not I was sweating!! in the air conditioning and last night I slept with a floor fan at my bedside. It's crazy and not even officially summer yet)But I found out Thursday that I have tested positive for gestational diabetes. I was floored. And then frustrated. And a little scared. I seriously lack in the self control department and I love food. I love to cook it and I love to enjoy it. Three months of pricking my finger four times a day and the risk of developing Type 2 in just five years scare me to no end. There is a higher possibility of c-sections with GD if the babies upper body gets too big. I really don't want that. There is a tiny risk of stillbirth but only if I lose complete control of my sugar levels. I hope it is enough to motivate me to be careful. Very careful. I think I'd be fine if I didn't have such a sensitivity to artificial sweeteners. There are so many sugar free products out there but many trigger migraines for me and then others they aren't quite sure how the effect babies in the womb. I am also worried about working out the logistics of it. Tomorrow I leave for a Teaching American History Program Conference and I'll be gone until Friday. All of our meals and snacks are provided. It is here in town but we are staying at the hotel. Tuesday I have to go into Birmingham to meet with the dietitian to take a class and get my testing kit. I am worried about being in meetings all day and eating every two hours and pricking my finger. I don't even know yet what kinds of snacks I should pack to take with me. To complicate things even worse Adam's car has breathed its last breath. He will be taking mine since I will be in a conference. I can imagine I might be calling him from time to time to bring me things :) I am praying for confidence and will power. And for long term health for me and Miller. And a cheap gym membership for after he is born so I can fight off Type 2.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry! Diabetes is serious business. We will be praying for your will power especially during this time. We will continue to pray for you and Miller's health.
Love, MIL

Anonymous said...

I just wanted you to know I am praying for you! Let me know if you come to Birmingham and have some free time, we would love to get together!! Talk to you soon :-)
Love,
Laudan