Thursday, October 29, 2009

The Gunk Inside of the Pumpkin

Our sermon Sunday was like an arrow into my heart. And it pierced deep and reminded me that I am a sinner. It was about unclenching your fists on what your holding on to so tight and give it freely as an offering to Christ. Because he opened not only his hands but his arms and let go not of time or money but his life. To save me. The things I need to let go of is my "self". MYSELF. Just get up, do it, get it done. Cross things off the list. Without excuses. Be the person God made me to be.


We were carving our pumpkins this week and thought about how this is what I want God to do to me. Hollow me out. Scoop out the gunk. Toss it out. Punch some holes in me to show I am not perfect(as if there were people who would think I was!) and put His light in me so it shines out to others.


Then I started to think about what is my gunk. My gunkiest gunk that is stinky and sticky. What do I need to get rid of? What do I need to confess? One thing is jealousy. I am a jealous person. I am jealous of moms who get to stay home. I am jealous of women who are good at their job. I am jealous of my sisters. I am jealous of people who have a fitness routine. I am jealous of people who cook dinner for their family every night. I am jealous of people who belong to Bible Studies. I am jealous of pregnant women. I am jealous of women who have style. I am jealous of my friends friends, who get to spend time with my friends when I don't. I am jealous of people with lots of comments on their blog posts. Satan uses jealousy to create dissatisfaction with my life. I am blessed beyond what I deserve. Why do I feel like I deserve to have things? Why do I get jealous over things I have control over? Because I am a sinner and I need God. I NEED GOD. And He knows that. And he loves me. Even gunky, stinky, and sticky.


With God's help I can open my clenched fists and open more of my life to God and stop watching life go by and feeling sorry for myself because I can't keep up. Just run.


Here are some pictures of our pumpkin carving and painting!





3 comments:

alysonc said...

Carrie I just wanted to let you know I love your blog and I loved this post. I am jealous of people who can express themselves in writing like you can... aren't we all jealous of something! Thanks for sharing, it's what I needed to hear this morning!!!

HB said...

I was going to say the SAME thing in my comment! I ALWAYS enjoy reading your blog and your perspective on life, children and YOUR JOB (you are a great teacher! I wish I was a teacher and if I ever become one, I hope I'm wise like you....and love my students).

Hope you guys have a great weekend.

HB

Anonymous said...

I agree with your friends, everyone is jealous of something. You don't won't to hear this but as you get older this is less of a problem. I am comfortable within my skin, even if it does look like a prune. You are brave to share that with all of us. I need this prayer everyday. Quite judging yourself so hard and just do the best you can. When younger, I would pray for a change and when there was no answer I learned the hard way to claim "... in whatever state I am, in this I will be content." Phil 4:11 Change did come, but more than that was peace. Love,MIL