Friday, December 17, 2010

The Three Year Old


Time flies. It really does. The other night this cold hard fact hit my heart.
Hard.
So I climbed in bed with Noah to cuddle a little bit. He was still awake and we talked for a long time. I'm not sure how well practiced you are at conversing with a three year old but it can be interesting. He told me a story about building a house out of grass and it blowing away with Charlie and Miller and all of us in it. He asked me what day he was going to die. He told me he wanted to show Jesus his new Cars bouncy ball. He asked me where Lighting McQueen's p---s (sorry I just can't type that word!) was. He told me when he grew up he was going to drive my car and I would sit in his car seat not the sider (passenger seat). He told me he loved me. He told me when he got big he would still want to rock a song. He asked if he could sleep in my bed. Tonight I was looking at his hands and thinking about how one day they won't be so tiny. They will be bigger than mine.

I love him.

With every fiber of my being.

And I never ever want to forget this age. In the moments when I think I do, when I want to pull out my hair and scream "why can't you just obey me?!", I think about those nights in the green rocking chair. And tickle fights. And hours upon hours of stories. And the first time he told me he loved me. His first steps. And the fear I try to push down. The fear about how he will grow up and no longer need me. No longer want to rock a song or even drive my car. And it makes cherish even the "time outs". And give him another cookie.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

He is special!
Nana

Mom said...

Oh that blog squeezed my heart...tight! I kove this age too...and this particular little boy! Any chance yo could put some of your great pictures of both boys on a thumb drive and we could get soem prints of them? My heart needs them.

Mom said...

I need spell check ;-)