Friday, August 13, 2010

The Day Miller was Born



The day Miller was born....

I woke up feeling uncomfortable. This was nothing new. I got up and went to read in the bathroom so I wouldn't wake up Adam.This was around 4:30.

I couldn't shake the cramping and contractions and thought it was a great time for bubble bath. The contractions grew steady and more and more intense. I decided I should wake up Adam. This was around 6am.


I woke up Adam, telling him I thought I was in labor. I convinced him he had time for a shower. And I got dressed and ready. Adam got out of the shower and suggested we start timing the contractions which were becoming painful. They were two minutes apart. Yes, two minutes a part. This was around 6:30 am.

We called the hospital and my parents, threw the dog and Noah in the car and left for St. Vincent's. It was just before 7am.

I prayed that we would make it. I prayed that I would could be strong enough. And I prayed for Miller. I panicked just a little bit when we hit rush hour traffic in downtown Birmingham. My parents pulled up right behind us and my mom went upstairs to Labor and Delivery while Adam and Dad exchanged Noah and Charlie. This was right at 8am.

It took just a minute to get checked in. I was grabbing the counter trying to maintain my composure as the contractions were close and hard. In triage I got dressed and they checked my status. I was 6cm dilated and fully effaced. They moved me quickly to a room (The same room Noah was born in!), rushed my lab work for the epidural, and rushed my paperwork. This was around 9am.

My prayers were answered as the anesthesiologist put in my epidural (just in time)and I became human again. I began to feel low pressure. I mentioned this to the nurse. It was around 9:30.


The nurse said she'd check and see if there was progress and we could start pushing for a while and then call the doctor in. She took a look and said we should go ahead and tell Dr. Ingram to come on in, Miller was ready. She set up all the instruments and called the doctor in. It was around 10 am.

Dr. Ingram came in and we chatted. I pushed through three contractions and they laid a screaming baby boy across my chest. He was beautiful. Perfectly healthy. 6lbs and 15 ounces. 20 and 3/4 inches. It was 10:39 am.


It was pretty much as a perfect of delivery you could ask for. Thank you Father.



We spent the rest of the day introducing the newest member to our family and friends. It felt surreal to have him really there with us. I loved just getting to finally hold him close to me. One of the highlights of the day was when Noah burst through the door and wanted to see and hold Miller. I will never forget their introduction.

With the second baby things are a little quieter. A little less fanfare. And it gave us time to soak in this sweet little baby. I love him so much more than I expected. I feel so blessed by the privilege God has blessed me with. Being a wife to Adam. And being a mother to two beautiful sons. It is amazing how He loves me and I look forward to serving Him by loving his gifts to me!

Dear Father,

Thank you so much for another miracle of life. Thank you for getting me to the hospital on time. For the love of a steady husband, support of a fantastic family, and great nurses. Thank you for an easy delivery and a beautiful healthy baby. I am so grateful for a complication free stay. For the time to soak in Your blessings through Miller and the time to fall in love with him. Guide me as his mother. Help me model your love for him. Help me to be patient, kind, generous, gentle, kind, unselfish and loving. Help me lead Him to You. He is a gift. For which I am so grateful.

Carrie


14 comments:

The Prescott's said...

Simply beautiful!

Unknown said...

Wow! I am so glad y'all made it to the hospital! I would have never ever made it to 6cm without an epidural. You are a stronger woman than I am. :)

He is so adorable and looks just like Noah. I cannot wait to meet him! How is Noah adjusting?

Laudan said...

I can't believe how fast it all went for you!! That is so great! Congratulations!! He is too adorable, I can't wait to meet him! I am so sorry I didn't make it to the hospital, things have been so crazy around here with Trey's dad, I wanted to come but there was never a chance to leave the kids and come. I will make a trip to see you guys as soon as you get settled and want visitors though!! I cant wait to see more pictures and hear more about how Noah is doing with his new little brother :-)

Laura said...

what a gift to watch your dreams come true right before my eyes. miller is perfect and you my friend were a rock star. lots of love. dying to see all of you again!

Stephanie said...

Congratulations! I'm so excited for you!

Caroline H said...

Carrie, Miller is just precious and you are absolutely glowing! The pic of Noah and Miller is so sweet... you can tell Noah is already in love with his new little brother! Hope you guys are doing well and I hope to meet Miller soon!

LB said...

Congratulations!! I have tears in my eyes; I absolutely cannot read about or watch anything having to do with "delivery day" without getting tears in my eyes. There is nothing like it!! What a quick delivery. Enjoy these early days (as much as you can).

Leslie said...

Carrie, This is Leslie Irons (Derek's wife). We stumbled upon your blog today and I just wanted to say congratulations!! You have 2 precious boys. I am staying home as well and can tell I'm already going to enjoy getting ideas on all things mommy from your blog.

Catie said...

Congratulations Carrie! He is beautiful! And I know you are so thankful for his health right now- I'll keep praying for your family! I know it will be so nice to actually bypass the NICU experience this time :)

M said...

He is so beautiful Carrie. Congratulations! What providence for such a great delivery!

Beth Goff said...

He is beautiful!!! Congrats to your wonderful family!

danajk said...

Congratulations! He is gorgeous! Can't wait for lots more pictures. And I love the way you posted it.

taylor said...

I still can't believe how beautiful you look- right after labor! Super woman! Love the pictures of you and Adam- so precious! Congrats!

jennifer said...

I love to wait a couple of weeks and then read all that i missed all together with your blog...but this one has me hiding behind the computer with tears "spilling"...that drive to the hospital is so scary...i was sooo scared and anxious and worried i wasn't going to be a good mother...we made it, didn't we? A BIG blessing that I am blessed to share with you, even with our age gap! :)