Friday, January 1, 2010

The New Year's Eve

Nana and Puddin' asked us last week if they could ring in the New Year with Noah. Only crazy parents would turn down free babysitting on NYE. So we agreed and spent the night alone together. We did what we usually do when Noah is away.... sleep in and clean. We had thought about attending a NYE Gala at the Zone with some friends but when plans were being made we had just found out about Baby. I did want to risk spending money on tickets and fancy clothes and then be sick and miserable. Which it turned out was a good call... those "pockets of sickness" are gone and the full blown all day sickness is here. But at least all the food is staying put in my stomach. May it stay that way. So I thought it might be a stay at home kind of celebration. But I decided not to give in to sitting on the couch on NYE. We went and saw a movie and then ate a fancy dinner at a new restaurant in downtown Northport we've been wanting to try. We spent the whole dinner talking about politics and school issues. Not once did we mention our adorable toddler. (We did bring up Baby... she (I just can't say it, she in no way reflects my desire for a girl, I will be equally ecstatic with either sex) is apparently not fond of fish smells or gumbo). We had ordered a yummy dessert called, Fallen Angel Torte. When I asked for a description our waiter said triple layer brownie and other words I did not hear. I could only think of three layers of chocolate. But he returned to say the kitchen had just run out. Sad. My sweet husband indulged his pregnant wife on a search for a store open at which we could purchase Triple Chunk Brownie Mix. We got home and made brownies and played Wii. We watched the ball drop and toasted each other and our growing family with sparkling cider. And shortly after that we fell into bed. It was a sweet and simple NYE, spent with my absolutely favorite person, doing my favorite thing... just being.



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We were thrilled to have Noah! I am glad you both got some couple time and a little rest. We got Noah time which is always great. We had pizza (which he loves), ice cream and played Wii Beatles. The first question Noah asked was "Were the drums?" Well sad to say they went to Texas with Chris and Robin. I just have a feeling I may end up with drums in my living room in a few months. He is so animated! He is a joy! We love you all. Nana and "not Puddin," as Noah says.

Mimi said...

What a sweet NYE! it will probably one that you remember always. Some , actually most, of my best memories of alone time with your dad are the sweet simple times like that!
Happy New Year to our wonderful and expanding Jones family.
We love you!

Mimi said...

"Not Puddin" and "No Papa". We will all laugh about this in the years to come when Noah switches gears and is all about the wonderful men in his life.