Friday, December 18, 2009

The Birth of my Nephew

I woke upWednesday morning at six to see that my phone was on silent, I had a missed called, and a text message. Emily was in labor. I immediately burst into tears knowing that I wouldn't be there for his birth!(I had used all my personal days to be with my family when my grandmother died.) I called and talked to mom and Em. I would be there as soon as I could after school. I was so excited! I stopped by the office to tell my secretary about trying to get someone to watch my fourth period. She asked me if I wanted to be there... well of course. Let's see what we can do. And then right then the phone rang. It was a sub looking for work. I jumped on it and was soon on the road. I couldn't get to St. Vincent's fast enough. (Don't worry, I stuck close to the speed limit!) Em was surprised. I was just happy to be with her. An hour or so after getting there Em and Griffin needed some rest. So Melanie (Griffin's wonderful mother), Dad, and I went to the waiting room. Just a little bit later she was 6 centimeters! Wow. Dad and I decided we had time to visit a friend of his who had a clinic in the complex. We were gone maybe twenty minutes when we got the call she was about to start pushing!!! Wow. We sped across the hospital to get back in time to hug and kiss her. An after probably the second longest hour of my life, we had a baby. Then it was another forty minutes before my mom came out to update us. As she walked through the doors she said, "Emily wants her Carrie." I didn't hear anything else. I dropped everything and practically ran to her room. She was amazing. Xander is amazing. He even started feeding well. Just a little bit later Jenny made it in from Georgia. And then Adam brought Noah to meet his new cousin. He wanted to touch him and hold him. He offered him toys, juice, and books. He didn't really mind it when I held Xander or even when Mimi did. I was relieved. It was a great birth day! Welcome to the world my precious little Xander. I love you very much. Almost as much as I love your mommy. Almost but not quite!
What a great experience becoming an aunt is! I am sad to have missed this part of Michael's sweet life! And I look forward to repeating the joy with Baby Neal and Baby E!



4 comments:

danajk said...

I already posted on Emily's post, congratulating her. But now I must congratulate you, Aunt Carrie! What a great Christmas present!

Adam Jones said...

And by drop everything to go in with Emily, she means a phone call with me. Treated me a like a dirty dish rag. ;)

Emy said...

=) i love you VERY much. i am so glad that sub called and you made it.

noah was SO precious with him!! i love it =)

taylor said...

awwww I love this post! Yay for EM and yay for being an aunt!!! Ya'll look more alike than ever too!